POSITION TITLE: Development Coordinator
REPORTS TO : Director of Development
CLASSIFICATION : Full Time, Salaried/Non-Exempt
SALARY- $43,000 - $47,000yr
HOURS : 40 hours/week
BENEFITS Individual Health & Dental Coverage, Life Insurance, Individual Retirement Account Contribution and PTO
Denver Kids Inc. - Every student graduates. Every student is prepared with life skills, equipped with a greater understanding of self, and empowered to pursue their meaningful pathway post-graduation.
The mission of Denver Kids is to empower students to positively shape their lives, successfully complete high school, and pursue post-secondary options. Denver Kids strives to help students use education and the development of social and emotional skills as tools to create career and college pathways. The Development Coordinator is a key position to help deliver on our mission.
Position Summary: The Development Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the implementation of the organization’s development strategies, activities, and events, primarily by ensuring that data, information, and reports related to development activities are tracked in the development database accurately and in a timely manner. Areas of responsibility include: development reporting and database management, support with donor communication, cultivation & stewardship activities, assisting at development related events, as well as providing grant support and development & administrative logistic support. The position supports the overall development team inclusive of interns, volunteers, internal and external partners, and the CEO.
● Management of the donor database, including data entry related to processing donations, donor information, event participation, and other interactions with donors, reporting, maintenance, and analysis to ensure high quality database information.
● Manage data clean-up in database as well as email marketing platform.
● Support the transition and implementation of the donor database from DonorPerfect Online to Salesforce – includes extensive data entry and updating donor data.
● Schedule meetings with donor and community members on behalf of the Leadership Team and research current and prospective donors.
● Manage monthly communication with multi-pledge holders, including tracking pledge status, sending invoices, and organizational updates.
● Process thank you letters via mail merge and manage the monthly donor appreciation process as well as other recognition as appropriate.
● Execute the regular donor cultivation process, including acquiring, creating, and/or assembling thank you gifts or other meaningful tokens of appreciation.
● Solicit, track, and record in-kind donations.
● Ensure office supplies are ordered and stocked for the development team.
● Support logistics for development events - attending, scheduling, reserving space, ordering food, sending invites, preparing and disseminating materials, setting up and tearing down events.
● Support the coordination and implementation of logistics for the various mail and email appeals throughout the year.
● Proofread grant applications and reports and other development materials.
● Attend all team meetings and take notes/meeting minutes. Schedule meetings, as appropriate.
● Attend external trainings and report back to the Development Team, as needed.
Support the coordination and implementation of Denver Kids’ Annual Breakfast and Annual Evening Gala fundraisers, additional in-house fundraising events, third party events, and cultivation of community partnerships, as well as the organization's participation in the Colfax Marathon, including but not limited to:
● Assist with fundraising event material logistics such as ordering supplies, decorations, assembling materials/collateral, transporting materials, etc., including managing communication and relationship with appropriate third-party vendors.
● Manage auction implementation, including supporting management of auction solicitation, soliciting donations, tracking donations, gathering relevant information and images, compiling donations into appealing auction packages, overseen by the Development & Events Coordinator.
● Oversee the guest registration process, including communicating with and tracking sponsors, Table Captains, guests, etc.
● Support the execution and implementation of event video production, speaker coordination, scheduling, site scouting and coordination, and additional logistical support.
● Manage guest registration, donations, purchases, etc. via third-party event online event platforms (ex: Greater Giving, Rallybound, ColoradoGives.org, etc.)
● Recruitment and management of event volunteers.
Additional Support & Duties:
● As requested, create and send communications via email or mail. Make phone calls to key stakeholders on behalf of the Leadership Team, as requested.
● Manage online calendars including scheduling board and committee meetings as well as other meetings as appropriate; send meeting reminders; order food for meetings; prepare and disseminate materials.
● Attend all staff meetings and events.
● Attend Board and other volunteer committee meetings, as necessary.
● Assist with program events, as requested by the supervisor.
● Non-essential job duties and/or non-related tasks may be assigned from time to time.
Additional opportunities based on skills and interest:
● Grant research and grant writing.
● Support management of the Denver Kids Young Professionals Council (YPC), including coordinating meeting locations and student/staff/board speakers, assisting with YPC’s involvement in implementing the Gala related to sponsorship and auction solicitation, etc.
● Support Denver Kids’ social media presence.
● Develop and manage a donor portfolio including ongoing cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
● Participate as an active member of the Denver Kids Inclusivity Committee.
● Manage the recruitment, selection process, and management of development department interns.
Key Skills and Attributes
● Organized & Effective: Thrives in an often fast-paced environment, is organized, communicates effectively, balances priorities, displays accountability to self and peers, and provides creativity and resourcefulness.
● Self-Starter & Team Player: Takes initiative, problem-solves, possesses a strong sense of ownership, and is dedicated to ensuring quality and inclusive programs at all times. Inspires the trust and confidence of others in order to collaborate on projects and gain knowledge necessary to ensure success in coordinating activities and events.
● Passion for Denver Kids’ mission and values.
● Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience.
● Minimum one year of relevant experience.
● Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills with the ability to work collaboratively with all levels of staff, community volunteers, Board Members, donors, and prospective donors/investors.
● Ability to quickly move between projects, prioritize based on most urgent needs, and complete assignments in a timely manner.
● Excellent computer skills including Google Suite (including Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides) and MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
● High attention to detail in order to maintain high quality and accurate data, reports, communications, etc.
● Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
● Up to date auto insurance with limits of $100/$300/$100 and $5K in Medical Payments.
● Ability to pass a background check.
● Available to attend and implement Denver Kids’ major fundraising events (FY2023: Annual Evening Gala - November 12, 2022; Annual Breakfast - May 10, 2023; Colfax Marathon - May 20-21, 2023).
● Experience working in non-profit development or equivalent experience.
● Understanding and knowledge of the Denver metro area philanthropic climate.
● Familiarity with or ability to learn donor database systems (DonorPerfect Online and/or Salesforce experience preferred).
● Familiarity with or ability to learn third-party event online event platforms (ex: Greater Giving, Rallybound, ColoradoGives.org, etc.).
● Experience in fundraising, special events, sales, or life experience equivalent.
● Maintains positive “can do” attitude, takes initiative, strives for results, and enjoys being an active/engaged participant of a high-performing development team.
● Confidence and willingness to solicit current and potential donors for in-kind and financial contributions.
● Self-aware and believes in accountability and in our core value of continuous learning.
● Thrives in a fast paced work environment and able to quickly identify and step in to fill gaps.
● Friendly, courteous, and professional outreach to donors, Board Members, vendors, community partners, and internal staff.
● Ability to respond to changing circumstances and maintain a flexible approach.
● Motivated by the program’s high potential for widespread impact on reducing the dropout rate in the Denver Public Schools system.
● Some evenings, early mornings, and weekends.
● Ability to transport materials in support of special events.
What You Can Expect
● A competitive salary, generous PTO, great benefits package.
● To be part of a dynamic team committed to the Core Values of this organization.
● Ongoing desire to be made stronger by our inclusiveness and diversity.
● To join an organization with all of the right ingredients for growth and success: a timely mission, a 75-year+ track record of graduating / completing more than 80% of our high school seniors, a productive partnership with Denver Public Schools, over 200 committed volunteers, an excellent reputation, a committed 30+ person staff, and an active 20+ person board.
Annual salary range is $43,000 - $47,000 with competitive benefits and time off package.
Send cover letter expressing interest in Denver Kids and this role as well as a resume showing experience relevant to the position to email@example.com. No phone calls please.